Be prepared for inclement weather school closures and delays
There’s no denying it: Winter weather is here.
Now is a good time to become familiar with how the General Brown Central School District communicates about school closings, delays and early dismissals.
The superintendent uses SchoolMessenger to notify parents, guardians and district staff members of emergency school closings, delays and early dismissals. The system generates an automated phone call and, for those parents, guardians and staff members who have opted in to the SchoolMessenger text message service, a text message.
If parents or guardians are unsure whether the district has their correct email or phone numbers on file, they should contact their child’s main office.
The district website and local news media will serve as backup notification systems and as a notification source for non-parents or community organizations. It is best to rely on more than one source of information when it comes to weather-related announcements. This is particularly true in situations that involve power outages, which can affect the district’s ability to send electronic notifications.
School closings will be announced on local TV and radio stations.
The district will not use social media to notify the public of an emergency closing or delay since the district cannot control the time frame in which those notifications reach subscribers.
When there is inclement weather, the decision to dismiss early, delay opening or close school is based on the superintendent’s discussions with the GB transportation director and the latest weather predictions.
Unless otherwise noted, all scheduled activities at GB schools are canceled on the days school is closed or closes early.
When an early dismissal or closure occurs, students should follow their predetermined plans to alleviate confusion. Please keep in mind that phone messages or emails may not be accessible in time to accommodate changes.
What happens if...
Schools are closed
- SACC is also closed.
- The cycle day moves to the next school day. (If Day 1 is a snow day then the next day school is in session becomes Day 1.)
- The lunch menu may or may not change. That is determined when school resumes.
There is a two-hour delay
- School start times are delayed by two hours. (9:50 a.m. Junior-Senior Hgh School and 11 a.m. elementary start time.)
- Bus pickup schedule is delayed by two hours.
- Breakfast will NOT be served.
- The cycle days stay the same.
School closes early
- At the beginning of the school year, parents completed an early/emergency dismissal plan. Teachers will follow this plan unless a note signed by a parent/guardian gives the school other directions.
- SACC does NOT operate when the school has an unplanned early/emergency dismissal.
There are no after-school activities
- SACC will remain in operation unless you are notified otherwise.