Welcome to the 2022-23 school year
Aug. 25, 2022
General Brown Interim Superintendent Mary Anne Dobmeier sent the following message to families ahead of the 2022-23 school year:
Dear General Brown Parents, Guardians and Students:
It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I welcome you to the 2022-23 school year! It is an honor and privilege to serve as interim superintendent for the General Brown community. The school staff and I are excited that students will be returning to school in-person every day to learn and grow with the excellent instruction and services we provide.
I would like to remind you that the health and safety of our students is our top priority. You may have heard that the CDC recently relaxed COVID-19 guidance for schools, which eases protocols and procedures for handling COVID cases. This allows us to handle COVID cases, regardless of vaccination status, similar to how we deal with cases of the flu.
To be specific, the CDC has:
- Dropped quarantining requirements for those exposed to COVID-19 (mask wearing is recommended for 10 days with testing on day 5);
- Recommended that students and staff who experience symptoms like cough, fever, or sore throat stay home and get tested;
- Indicated that those who test positive should isolate at home for 5 days. Afterward, the isolation depends on whether they still have symptoms or test positive; and
- Dropped the universal indoor masking and routine testing requirements, except for areas where there is a high transmission rate.
The New York State Department of Education, along with the New York State Department of Health, just released updated frequently asked questions documents for schools and parents, which can be found in the COVID-19 Updates and Information section of our website.
This school year, we are pleased to welcome several new staff members and Board of Education members to our General Brown community:
- Olivia Brooker - Special Education Teacher at BGP
- Robin Brouty - Food Service at JSHS
- Andrew Derouin - Math Teacher at JSHS
- Janelle Dupee - Principal at DX
- Amanda Eastham - Teacher Aide at JSHS
- Scott Elliot - 5th Grade Teacher at BGP
- Delaney Eveleigh - Academic Intervention Services Teacher at BGP
- Ashleigh Fennell - Special Education Teacher at DX
- Sarah Harris - Long Term Substitute Teacher - Science at JSHS
- Rosanne Hatch - Food Service at ACES
- Blaine Hoppel - Food Service Director
- Leann Hill - Director of Student Services - Districtwide
- Louis Ingrassia - Academic Intervention Services Teacher at BGP
- Chen Jiang - Teacher Assistant at BGP
- Jenny Kissell - Food Service at BGP
- Angela Kittle - Teacher Assistant at JSHS
- Lisa Leubner - Secretary to the SOS - District Office
- Alicia McDermott - 2nd Grade Teacher at DX
- Jason Reynolds - Board of Education Member
- Amy Scott - Assistant Principal at BGP
- Leona Sharp - Food Service at BGP
- William Shepard - Transportation Director - Districtwide
- Kimberly Shuler - Board of Education Member
- Hannah Smithers-Worden - Physical Education Teacher at DX/BGP
- Tracy Strock - Math Teacher at JSHS
- Joshua Velasquez - 5th Grade Teacher at BGP
Open Houses for students who are new to our buildings are scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022 as follows:
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. - Dexter Elementary
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. - Brownville-Glen Park
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. - Junior-Senior High School
Please note that 7th graders will start orientation at 6 p.m. with Mr. Ramie. School starts for all students on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2022.
I hope that you and your family enjoy the remaining summer days. I look forward to meeting you and working with our excellent staff to provide the very best education and services to our students. Thank you for your ongoing partnership and commitment to the General Brown Central School District.
Mary Anne Dobmeier
Interim Superintendent of Schools